Friday, April 17, 2009

I wanna be....



As I was thinking the other day about my childhood and how i was so care free. I also had an imagination. I remember being spaced out thinking about you know the typical stuff like "What I wanna be When I Grow up". My mom would be calling me, "Britt come here!" Still no answer so she eventually send my sister. Then shes like didn't you here me calling you? "No ma'am I was doing something!" lol but as a child I had so much fun no matter what. I stayed outside with the boys all day from playing tag to football to catching lighting bugs lol, i was a tomboy! I was actually better and faster than most of them i was playing with lol. I loved sports and softball was my favorite until my uncle introduced me to organized basketball.

Softball was my first LOVE and my thrive for competition! I started at the age of four but as i kid i remember just loving the feeling of a team. I pitched, so when the crowd applauded when i would strike out the batter was awesome while my teammates gave me high fives. I didnt mind all the practices growing up and spending my Saturdays playing all day. I was good at it and wanted to play the rest of my life although i knew it wasnt a professional team. I figured it would be by the time i got older.

I started recreation basketball when i was 12. It was kool at first and i just continued to play because i was good. I didnt put softball on the back burner until 8th grade in middle school when i played and watched it less. I slowly began to fall in love with basketball. It was more competitive and physical. I was quick, athletic, and a nice jump shot! I loved every minute of it from middle school to high school. Its all i did. I wanted to play in college and eventually WNBA. If u asked what i wanted to do when i grow up thats the answer i would give you. I remember some would say "what if it dont work out"? I'd smirk and would reply "it is, thats not an option".

It wasnt an option until my senior yr i didnt get any offers in mail from colleges. lol Boy was that a rude awaking! "When i grow up" was about to changed again! Man, What else do i want to do? I mean i did like what the athletic trainer did when we got hurt, Its related to sports. And i heard that got paid good money. But a PE teacher seem easy also, At least at my high school. Paid vacations, possibly coach one day! They both seem like good ideas.

College rolled around and i decided to go with the Athletic trainer. Ball was out of the picture besides the causal pick up games you know. So i took my college courses at the middle Ga college (JUCO) on my path to become an athletic Trainer. My sophomore yr came around and the basketball coach wanted me to try out! WOW... couldn't believe it, didnt even expect it. I made the team and my jr yr I transferred to Emmanuel College (NAIA) to play Where i play currently! Its kool, no its not D1 but not many people say they're in college playing ball. So im thankful but i look at it now as more of a job & It helps pay for school. When i got to EC i heard they had a great kinesiology program. I began to think about how difficult it would be t find an athletic training job espically with this economy! One day i volunteered at a physical therapist clinic. I loved the environment. I wanted to work with others and help them recover and just observed patients progress. Yet, again I changed my mind about what i wanted to be. Yeah thats it a Physical Therapist! Finally... I found something that would make me happy and actually enjoy doing everyday. I graduate next yr with my bachelors and cant wait to get started in my career :)

I didnt realize how kids imaginations run wild until i thought about me as little one. Boy, The plans we have and its funny how some work out and some don't. But thats what we do as kids have fun and imagine. It helped me figure out what "I Really Wanna BE....."

-Bruski

No comments:

Post a Comment